This programme is set up by a Consortium directed by the Centre Cinématographique Marocain and Europa Cinemas, within the framework of the European Union's Euromed Audiovisual programme. The objective is to contribute to the cultural dialogue and the mutual understanding between the people of the European Union and the MEDA countries.
A. Area of Activity
The 10 countries and territories in the MEDA region: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Palestinian Territories, Syria, Tunisia, and Turkey.
The 25 countries in the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Great Britain, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia Slovakia, Spain, Sweden.
B. Time Period
Three years: 2006, 2007, 2008.
C. Objectives and Means
- Encourage the distribution of films in EU countries originating from the MEDA region, notably in those territories particularly difficult to penetrate for southern films.
- Improve the circulation of Mediterranean films in the MEDA region.
- Reinforce the presence of European films in the countries and territories in the MEDA region.
To reach these goals the Consortium will implement:
- Support for the distribution and exhibition of Mediterranean films in the European Union.
- Support for the distribution and exhibition of Mediterranean films in the MEDA region.
- Support for the distribution and exhibition of European films in the MEDA region.
D. Beneficiaries of Support and Eligibility Criteria
Beneficiaries in the 10 countries and territories in the MEDA region and the 25 countries in the European Union are:
- Film distributors
- Cinema exhibitors
Eligibility criteria for distributors:
- A distribution company located in one of the 35 countries in the partnership, legally incorporated with the ability to distribute films in cinemas in one or several territories.
- A company which guarantees the whole of the tasks associated with the distribution of a film: acquisition of rights, putting it on the market, theatrical rental, collection and sharing of box-office.
Eligibility criteria for exhibitors:
- Cinemas and exhibition companies located in the 35 countries in the partnership.
- Commercial cinemas open to the public, selling tickets and declaring box-office.
- 35 mm projection equipment of good image and sound quality.
- Good accommodations for the public, security measures in conformity with the national regulations.
- Minimum weekly screenings : 14
- Minimum number of seats : 70
Excluded from support are cinemas screening films of an advertising nature or that are pornographic, racist or vindicate violence.
Cinemas that will screen first-run Mediterranean or European films in the territory of the application will be given priority.
E. Support Modalities
Every distributor who fulfills the eligibility criteria and who has acquired distribution rights for a Mediterranean or European film will be allowed to solicit support to assure the release of that film in a partnership's territory.
To do so, he must fill out an application form, providing along with the other information requested:
- A recent extract from the national registry of commerce, concerning his distribution company
- A copy of the distribution contract signed with the rights' holder
The distributor must submit a plan for the release, specifically detailing the date of release, the number of prints, the list of cinemas and the estimated budget.
Requests regarding the release of Mediterranean or European films in territories difficult to penetrate will benefit greater attention.
The distributor will have to devote a significant part of the budget to the film's promotion. A minimum number of prints will be demanded.
A Committee of Experts comprising professionals from both sides of the Mediterranean examines the requests from distributors. This Committee reserves the right to ask for modifications in the release campaign, notably regarding the number of prints and choice of cinemas.
When the request is accepted, a partnership agreement is signed with the distributor and exhibitors who will programme the film. This agreement stipulates the modalities and the maximum sum for support as well as the distributor's, exhibitors' and Consortium's engagements.Â Within this framework the Consortium will reimburse 100% of all invoices paid by the distributor, covering the eligible expenses.
The distributor and the exhibitors assure the release of the film in accordance with the plan validated by the Committee of Experts as well as their engagements cited in the partnership agreement.
They also engage to fully adhere to make an effort to make visible the support programme within the framework of Euromed Audiovisual.
The distributor will be obliged to print a press file, organize press screenings and previews, and mobilize professionals and the media.
For their part, the exhibitors will be required to programme the film during every screening for at least one full week.
After the film is released, the distributor and exhibitors will communicate to the Consortium detailed results of the film in each cinema, regarding the number of weeks programmed, screenings, admissions and box-office, as well as a copy of all printed promotional material (press file, press clippings, posters, flyers, photos of the postering campaign and the preview, etc.).
The distributor will transmit to the Consortium invoices and proof of payment, which will serve to establish the final amount of support.
If all required conditions are observed, the Consortium will transmit the financial support to the distributors and exhibitors in accordance with the engagements cited in the partnership agreement.
Support to distributors and exhibitors will not be transmitted until after the release of the film.
F. Eligible expenses
- Acquisition of prints (purchase or printing)
- Subtitling or dubbing
Eligible material support for promotion is:
- Purchase or production of a trailer
- Subtitling or dubbing of a trailer
- Purchase or printing of posters, flyers, press files, etc.
Eligible advertising charges for promotion are:
- TV spot broadcasting
- Radio spot broadcasting
- Press campaign on websites
- Press inserts, programmes, magazines, newspapers, etc.
Eligible events are:
- Cinema rental for press screenings
- Cinema rental for preview
- Invitation of the film's director (International transport Ticket solely)
Costs to acquire distribution rights, taxes and customs charges are not eligible cost.
For requests for support in 2006, films produced prior to 2003 are ineligible. For the year 2007, films produced prior to 2004, and for the year 2008, films produced prior to 2005 are ineligible.
The same film cannot ever receive distribution or exhibition support twice in the same territory from two different European programmes or funds.
G. The application forms
The application forms downloadable on this website can be sent to:
Aude Erenberk: email@example.com
Héloïse Carré: firstname.lastname@example.org
54, rue Beaubourg
Tel: 00 33 1 42 71 53 70
Fax: 00 33 1 42 71 47 55